- Original Content
- Party TIme
- Environmental Disaster
- Life Styles
- MBN LIVE
- Our Projects
- Thunder Dome
- Other News
- Site RSS Map
Steubenville grand jury
Photo: Herald Star(Steubenville, Oh)
Seth Fluharty, The 3rd of six who were previously indicted during a special grand jury investigation into the infamous Steubenville Rape Case, as well as an April 2012 alleged rape had his day in court. (The April 2012 alleged rape was investigated twice,<once y law enforcement, and secondly by the Steubenville Special Grand Jury> and was deemed no criminal activity beyond the indictments or that a rape had occured due to a lack of evidence.)
Photo: WTRF Channel 7
West Elementary Principal Lynette Gorman (one of the 6 indicted by the special Steubenville Grand Jury) had her charge of failing to report child abuse or child neglect in regard to an alleged rape that happend in April 2012 which went unreported until September 2012, in which she allegedly received information about a party and the alleged crime was dropped earlier today.
Gorman must complete 40 hours of community service and must speak with school teachers and administrators in the school district bout recognizing child abuse, and reporting it immediately in the future as part of an agreement with the state in exchange for charges being dropped.
Ohio Attorney General Mike Dewine released the following statement about today's agreement:
"The resolution reached today is in the best interests of the Steubenville community as the area continues to heal and move forward," said Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine. "Ms. Gorman will be part of the work that is being done in Steubenville to educate students and school officials about the seriousness of sexual assault and the need to report these incidents.
"We want something positive to come out of this tragedy.
"The interests of the community are served by having the principal acknowledge that she should have done things differently. And, she acknowledges how very important it is to report child abuse and neglect. This will make a difference in the future. The reality is that because the charge was a fourth degree misdemeanor, and she has no prior record, had this case gone to trial, the most that could possibly come out of this is that she would have been sentenced to a short amount of jail time, with no acknowledgement that she did things wrong and no ability to move forward."
Photo: Associated Press
It's over. It's finally over. After 16 months after the initial rape of 16 year old Jane Doe in August 2012, The Steubenville Grand Jury ended it's investigation into individuals who may have commited additional crimes during the initial rape investigation. 16 long months for Steubenville residents, and a very long and ridiculous social media shit show for main stream media, activists, anonymous soldiers, and those who just donned a mask in December to support the rape victim.
4 more individuals were indicted today bringing the grand total of those indicted to 6.
Photo: Hannah Rhinaman Facebook
Walter Rhinaman's 20 year old daughter Hannah, has also been indictmed by the Special Steubenville grand jury on charges of (2 counts)Receving stolen property and (one count) theft. All three charges are 5th degree felonies, and the charges are unrelated to her father's indictment.
Ohio Attorney General Mike Dewine's office says "the charges are related to incidents that happened within the walls of the Steubenville City Schools, and not related to the Steubenville Rape Case."
"The grand jury had come across the evidence on the charges."
Miss Rhinaman could face up to 3 years in prison. You can read the Indictment Here.
Hannah was a Steubenville School employee who worked 188 hours at $7.70/hr on a purchases contract from August 20 thru September 12, 2012 assisting the Technology Department setting up computer labs, and updating software.
Miss Rhinaman's Facebook account didn't directly address the charges, but 2 posts made within an hour stated:
"I wish the federal government would leave my family alone." and "I love how popular I am now that on the national news....Fuck Off."
Both Walter(Pretrial Hearing) and Hannah Rhinaman (Arraignment) will be appearing before Judge Cosgrove on Friday Morning at 11 AM
The Steubenville Grand Jury has adjourned on another break until an unspecified time.
Video: James Crawford, Edited and Produced by Don Carpenter
AUDIO: Don Carpenter
The first person to be indicted by the Steubenville Grand Jury, William Rhinaman appeared in court this afternoon looking very nervous as he sat alone in the courtroom awaiting the attorneys and Judge Cosgrove to begin proceedings.
Most Notably was the lack of media coverage as opposed to the media circus during the trials of Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond back in March. (Cnn, Wtov9. Wtrf 7. NBC 4 Columbus, KDKA Pittsburgh, Wtae Pittsburgh, the Herald Star and a couple unknows covered the hearing.)
Rhinaman is charged with Tampering with Evidence, Obstructing Justice, Perjury, and Obstructing Official Business. There was no new information or documents available to the public or media as to how the grand jury came to these conclusions, or when Rhinaman allegedly commited these offenses.
Judge Cosgrove assigned to the case by the Ohio Supreme Court, conducted a fast hearing with Rhinaman pleading not guilty, and appointing his current attorney as his legal representative until a hearing on October 25th at 11 AM can determine if Rhinaman has the finances and assets on hand to hire and pay for his own attorney.
Rhinaman informed the court that he only has $1,500 in his bank account, and has a mortgage on his house which costs more than the home is actually worth. When Judge Cosgrove asked the defendant if he is still employed by Steubenville City Schools, he replied " I don't know I haven't had contact with them since I was arrested on Monday." Nor was Rhinaman able to answer questions as to if he could tap his pension for his soon to be massive legal expenses.
Rhinaman was released on a $25,000 personal recognisance bond provied he meets with an attorney and makes all court appearances.
Photo: Don Carpenter
Ohio Attorney General, Mike Dewine announced an hour ago that the first indictment in the ongoing special Steubenville grand jury came back.
A Steubenville IT(Information Technology) School employee, 53 year old William Rhinaman was indicted on charges of Tampering with evidence (3rd degree felony), Obstructing Justice (5th degreee felony), Obstructing official business (2nd degree misdemeanor), and perjury ( a 3rd degree felony).
This indictment came as a suprise to everyone as the grand jury only met one day on Friday and was on a month's break following their last meeting. Media was alerted last week to expect indictment announcements around the week of October 21st.
Not much information was given upon request as to how the grand jury came to their findings warranting an indictment of Mr. Rhinaman, just that " Rhinaman committed those offenses." The Ohio Attorney General's office did not care to elaborate on that statement despite multiple questions on the phone by myself.
It is also my understanding the grand jury is still an ongoing investigation with more possible indictments coming.
As of the time of writing this blurb, Mr. Rhinaman had been arrested once the indictment was made formal and is expected to appear in court on Wednesday.
The Steubenville Grand Jury which went on break earlier this month, won't be resuming anytime soon.
Investigators are waiting for forensic evidence from computers and cell phones being conducted by third parties including Microsoft according to Ohio Attorney General Mike Dewine.
The Steubenville Grand Jury has only met 11 times since it's calling on April 15, 2013. The grand jury is hearing (and weighing) evidence against other individuals who may have committed additional crimes during the August 2013 rape of a 16 year old girl, as well as, if school officials and others knew of the rape, but did not report it.
Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond were found delinquent on the rape and are teen registered Tier II sex offenders currently serving their sentences.
There is no word on a set date for the grand jury to reconvene.
After meeting only 3 days this week, and after meeting only 10 times since they were convened back in April, the Steubenville Grand Jury is once again recessed for at least another month with no end in sight. Truly it's as if we're all stuck like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day waiting for this thing to end, and be able to move on with our lives. Be it in media covering whatever charges the GJ may or may not come back with, residents of Steubenville who just want this thing to end, those possibly on the block under the GJ's microscope waiting to either be charged or or vindicated.
One thing is for sure, No one is going anywhere anytime soon. Personally i've never seen anything like this Ohio special grand jury. I've never heard of a proceeding taking so many breaks while more evidence is allegedly collected or for investigators to be asking for more time after so many months.
Really wish there was more information to pass on to you, but it's a secret process, with no information available, nor is anything really happening.
The Grand Jury will resume sometime in September.
However, I'm starting to feel like this case will never end.
Photo: AP Steubenville Media Pool March 2013
Despite promises by Deric Lostutter aka Ky Anonymous, The 14 person Steubenville Grand Jury resumed today and broke for the day without 48 indictments and Mike Dewine announcing his candidacy for governor of Ohio. Lostutter was quite adamant and down right defiant when challenged about his statements in the weeks leading up to today's grand jury session resuming.
The Grand Jury has now been seated 8 times since it's creation on April 15th, 2013, with the jurors being tasked with hearing evidence, and looking into whether additional individuals failed to report the rape of a 16 year old girl one year ago today as well as deciding if other crimes where committed during the initial rape, and rape investigation led by the Steubenville Police Department.
Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond were sentenced back in March for the rape of the young woman.
Ma'lik Richmond will be back in court this Friday to receive his sexual predator classification. Trent Mays has already been deemed a teen tier II predator and has been transferred to another facility to receive treatment and rehabilitation.
The grand jury will meet at least 2 more times this week and then potentially be on break again until September according to local station WTRF, The Associated Press and the Ohio Attorney General's Office.
In the last week or so, and yesterday in a twitter statement, Deric Lostutter (Ky Anonymous) has been making claims that the Steubenville Grand Jury will end on August 12th after meeting only 7 times since April 15th. Lostutter promising 48 indictments with no anons on that list with even himself (who was raided by the fbi in April for his role in the rollredroll.com website hacks) not being indicted. The Steubenville Grand Jury is proceeding under a veil of secrecy with only media being told that the grand jury will once again resume and continue it's tasks of hearing and weighing evidence to determine if more crimes were committed in the August 2012 rape of a 16 year old, and during the rape investigation which led to the conviction of Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond.
It's been a busy week for a 26 year old rapper from Kentucky who recently unmasked himself as KY Anonymous, the man who spear headed #ophuntermoore, #opwestboro and then #oprollredroll in Steubenville, Ohio. Deric Lostutter/KY weaponized the media to bring international attention to the rape of a 16 year old victim.
The town of Steubenville would never be the same after Ky and Justbatcat aka Noah Mchugh began by taking over rollredroll.com on December 23, 2012 by defacing the Steubenville booster website with a message from anonymous, and releasing site owner Jim Parks' emails. The rest as they say is history. It's been 6 months since the operation was launched and has cooled down with the convictions of Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond back in March. A Steubenville Grand Jury between multiple breaks is currently investigating if more crimes were committed during the night in question where Jane Doe was raped, and if 16 other individuals should be charged for refusing to cooperate with investigators.
Deric also may find himself in front of this Grand Jury, as Feds raided his Kentucky home back in April searching for evidence as it pertained to the Parks Website Hack. Ky anonymous had briefly resurfaced online using the hacked twitter account of Popadopalous in April, to tweet shortly before the raid on his home. Since April 16th, the account that used to belong to Pops (used by KY) went silent.
This isn't my usual reporting, but an OP-ED piece
When Ohio Attorney General Mike Dewine announced a grand jury would be convened to explore possible other crimes that may have been committed during the Jane Doe rape case investigation, and that they would be investigating other individuals who may have committed those crimes, no one believed it would take this long.
Photo: AP Media Pool March 2013
The Steubenville Grand Jury finally began meeting on Tuesday at the Jefferson County 911 Call Center to begin investigating whether other individuals broke additional laws going back to August in the rape of 16 year old Jane Doe by Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond.
Ohio Attorney General Mike Dewine has promised to bring closure to this case and to attempt to answer all the unanswered questions lingering from this case. Search Warrants were executed on school facilities last week in which documents, and computer hard drives were seized.
The most frustrating thing about this grand jury process for media and the public is that the proceedings are held in secret, are now expected to last weeks not the initial 10 days we were told, and a press conference will be held immediately following the grand jury's recoomendations to either file additional charges or that no new action be taken.
We'll keep you updated as best we can here at Mobile Broadcast News.
UPDATE: the Grand Jury has broke until May 23rd so that Ohio BCI can analyze more evidence and interview more witnesses.
Search warrants executed at Steubenville high school in connection with grand jury investigation and Jane Doe rape case
With 5 days before a grand jury hears evidence against 16 individuals for failing to cooperate in the Jane Doe rape case investigation (among other possible charges). Search Warrants were executed at the Steubenville Board of Education Offices, The Steubenville High School, Vestige limited in Medina County and other locations in connection with Ohio Attorney general Mike Dewine's ongoing investigation in the Jane Doe Rape Case.
Coach Reno was at the Harding Stadium House when Ohio BCI Agents arrived to also serv search warrants. Steubenville police were also on scene.
What Ohio BCI agents and Steubenville Police officers were searching for remain a mystery as the scope of the warrants remain sealed by a court order.
Sources on the ground in Steubenville tell me that more warrants and locations may be searched within the next few days.
The Grand jury begins hearing evidence on April 30th, and the process should last 10 days.
Calls for comments to the Ohio Attorney Generals Office, and Steubenville high School have not been returned.
9 jurors and 5 alternates were selected for the Steubenville grand jury set to investigate further charges against others in the Steubenville case. The jury was whittled down from 150 jefferson county residents that reported to the courthouse yesterday morning. The grand jury will be tasked with deciding if other crimes were commited by 16 indivduals.